Now Accepting Nominations/Candidates for the 2019-2020 Board of Directors
Trinity Square Video is a space to reimagine media arts. Founded in 1971, it is one of Canada’s first artist-run centres and its oldest media arts centre. As a not-for-profit, charitable organization Trinity Square Video aims to meaningfully engage diverse creative voices through its accessible production, postproduction, and exhibition support. Trinity Square Video champions an evolving definition of video by presenting challenging contemporary art that inspires its members and audiences to expand their understanding of media art. We strive to create a supportive environment, encouraging artistic and curatorial experimentation with video that challenges notions of medium specificity and advances media art as a creative discipline.
Trinity Square Video is seeking vibrant leaders who share our commitment to exploring media arts. We are looking for professionals (film and video makers, artists, art administrators, art supporters) with experience in not-for-profit/non profit governance/budgeting/finance, fundraising/development, facilities and project planning, event planning, media arts programming and production. We welcome applications from all who support our vision and are willing to commit 8 to 10 hours per month to the organization. Commitments include attending board meetings, committee participation, and providing support to our flourishing organization. Directors may not receive financial compensation or apply for exhibitions while serving on the board, and will be expected to hold their positions until the next Annual General Meeting. In order to stand for election at the AGM you must be a member of TSV for at least 5 days prior to the AGM. The Board of Directors is the governing body and legal authority of Trinity Square Video.
Purpose and Role of the Board
To act as a voting member of the board with full authority and responsibility to:
- Govern and guide the organization while supporting the Executive Director and Artistic Director in managing the organization.
- Oversee the Organization’s financial health, programs and overall performance;
- Provide the Executive Director and Artistic Director with the resources to meet the needs of those the Organization serves.
Individual Board Member’s Responsibilities and Requirements
- Support the staff and organization’s innovative programming and exhibition initiatives
- Lead in fundraising initiatives, through event planning, seeking out donors and other funding opportunities;
- Regularly attend monthly board meetings and applicable committee meetings as needed
- Supporting the organization through attendance at Trinity Square Video public programming and events
- Come to board meetings well-prepared and well-informed about issues on the agenda
- Participation in the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and other meetings of the membership;
- Build a collegial working relationship with fellow Board Directors that contributes to consensus;
- Become knowledgeable about Trinity Square Video’s role in the media arts and arts community; being sensitive to the social, political, and cultural factors affecting the organization;
- Become knowledgeable about Board governance including policy, finance, programs, human resources, fundraising, and community relations
- Contribute to defining the Organization’s strategic directions and approve of its strategic plan;
- Represent Trinity Square Video’s mission and vision in the community;
- Assume board leadership roles when asked or necessary;
- Elect the Board Executive Officers as needed;
- Review Board and self-reflect on own performance periodically;
- Review the bylaws, and recommend bylaw changes to the membership;
- Available to serve the required term of office of a minimum of two (2) years.
Trinity Square Video’s current board is comprised of artists, filmmakers, curators, and community members. We are committed to meaningful equity and inclusion, and aim to reflect the communities we serve. TSV encourages submissions from experienced candidates including First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities and LGBTQ-identified persons.
There are currently 4 available positions on the board of directions. The terms would be 2 years beginning from the 2018 AGM. If you are interested in this opportunity please forward a letter of interest and resume highlighting relevant qualifications and experience, indicating “Board Director” in the subject by e-mail to Trinity Square Video’s Secretary Kwasi Agyei (email@example.com) for inclusion in the voting at the AGM.
The election of the Board of Directors will take place at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Monday, May 30, 2019 at Trinity Square Video. Members, staff and the current board can nominate Board Members. Nominations are requested in advance, but may also be taken from the floor at the AGM. Nomination forms will be available on the website soon. At the AGM each nominee will be asked to give a brief 1-2 minute talk expressing their interest and reasons for wanting to join the TSV Board of Directors.
Please email Kwasi Agyei at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions, or contact Trinity Square Video at 416 593-1332.
Trinity Square Video acknowledges its presence on the traditional territories on the Haudenosaunee, the Anishinaabe, the Huron-Wendat and the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation, who are the original holders and caretakers of the land on which we create work.Share