Trinity Square Video’s Themed Commission Program
Call for Submissions: TWO-D: Sculptural Video
Deadline: CLOSED June 12th, 2014
Trinity Square Video announces a Call for Submissions to TWO-D, the second of TSV’s Themed Commission trilogy, ONE-D, TWO-D, THREE-D. This call asks artists to expand our notions of video beyond the plane of the screen into a consideration of the sculptural qualities of video. TWO-D: Sculptural Video is an opportunity for artists to work outside of the expectation of video as a two-dimensional medium. “Sculptural Video” is meant to be an evocative term rather than a restrictive one. We invite artists to creatively antagonize the flatness and conventionality of the screen, critically examining the potential for video in relation to—or beyond—the frame.
Potential areas of investigation:
- Light sculpting
- Physical animation (thaumotropes, eidophusikons, zoetropes, flipbooks)
- Editing (rhythm, layering, montage)
- Compositional structure
- Monitor as material
- Creative use of gifs
- Fans blowing colored pieces of fabric
- Or anything else that could be justified as taking a sculptural approach to video.
Terms of commission:
Each selected artist will be given access to Trinity Square Video’s production and post-production equipment and facilities as well as full access to TSV gallery from July 1st – August 22nd, 2014. Participating artists are expected to participate in group critiques and planning sessions and will be expected to complete their project in time for a group exhibition at Trinity Square Video in September 2014. Submissions will be reviewed by the TSV Programming Committee who willmake selections based on the proposed project’s innovation, feasibility, aesthetic potential, and conceptual merits.
Selected artists receive:
- $850 in production equipment rentals for the creation of their projects;
- 100 hours of editing time;
- One and a half months of access to TSV Gallery for use as a group studio with other Themed Commission participants.
- TSV membership or renewal;
- $350 in production support;
- Participation in a group exhibition with CARFAC fees (September, 2014)
While each project is created separately, the artists participate in group-critiques of works-in-progress, where they can receive peer-support and feedback. All Greater Toronto Area emerging, mid-career and established artists working in all forms of media are welcome to submit. Proposals from those living outside Toronto and surrounding area must ensure that the artist will attend all TWO-D related activities at their own expense.
Applications should include:
- An up to date CV
- An application form, available here which includes:
- One pdf document, image or video as a visualization or schematic for your proposed project
- Up to two examples of previous projects (Submitted as one video, website, pdf, or up to 5 images for each project).
All application should be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com
Subject line: TWO-D Submission
If you are not able to submit digitally please print all documents and mail them to Trinity Square Video at the address listed at the bottom of this document so that they arrive no later than June 12th, 2014.
Videos and other files that are too big to attach to an e-mail can be sent via a file transfer service such as Google Drive, Hightail, or WeTransfer, or can be sent as a link to an online video hosted on a service such as YouTube or Vimeo.
Trinity Square Video
401 Richmond Street West, Suite 376
Toronto ON M5V 3A8 416-593-1332
TSV Production Centre hours: Monday to Friday 10am – 6pm
TSV Gallery hours: Monday to Friday 12 – 6pm, Saturday 12 – 4